OpenRefine for Social Science Data
- OpenRefine is a powerful, free, and open source tool that can be
used for data cleaning.
- OpenRefine will automatically track any steps allowing you to
backtrack as needed and providing a record of all work done.
- OpenRefine can import a variety of file types.
- OpenRefine can be used to explore data using filters.
- Clustering in OpenRefine can help to identify different values that
might mean the same thing.
- OpenRefine can transform the values of a column.
- OpenRefine provides a way to sort and filter data without affecting
the raw data.
- OpenRefine also provides ways to to examine and clean numerical
- All changes are being tracked in OpenRefine, and this information
can be used for scripts for future analyses or reproducing an
- Cleaned data, or selected data, can be exported from OpenRefine for
use in other applications.
- Projects can be exported to files that contain the original data and
all data cleaning steps you performed.
- Other examples and resources online are good for learning more about